WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Louis Hayes



This morning someone forwarded me this clip of the great Louis Hayes as featured with the Cannonball Adderly Quintet on the tune "Bohemia After Dark".

Hayes has always been a favorite of mine. I recall a trio date he did with McCoy Tyner that was given to me by my jazz combo teacher Brenda McAlpine many, many years ago when I was growing up in Regina. I can't remember the name of that particular album (!) but I'll have to try and dig that one up.

Louis Hayes is still around, performing and playing great. I hope to catch him sometime in the future. Many drummers don't realize that his driving and propulsive swing had a huge influence on Tony Williams.

This clip is a nice feature for Hayes with a classic group.

1 comment:

  1. I agree...one of the unsung heroes of our craft. It's great to see him still playing!!

    ReplyDelete