WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Monday, November 22, 2010

The Monday Morning Paradiddle with Keith, Hutch & Pieces of Wood



-When I was in Indianapolis last week I picked up copy of Keith Copeland's great book. I had worked out of this unique approach to drum set coordination while I studied with Andre White at McGill University about ten years ago. I never owned a copy and basically had the libraries copy on permanent loan (!) I found it to be a very helpful and "meat and potatoes" approach to drum set playing and assumed that the book was out of print. So I was very happy to find it still available and bring a copy home with me. Check out this underrated book out if you get a chance.

Keith is a great drummer himself and taught extensively at the Banff Centre for the Arts during the early 90s. He also looks very sharp in a bowtie : )



-I also picked up a copy of John Metzger's comprehensive Jazz vibraphone book "The Art and Language of Jazz Vibes". Lots of work to do but I'm looking forward to working out of this great text. And of course after hearing Stefon Harris and Dave Samuels, there's no lack of inspiration either...



-Wandering the convention floor at PASIC was also a good opportunity to stock up on a few more DVDs to add to my collection. I grabbed a copy of Steve Jordan's DVD "The Groove Is Here" that features Steve's seriously indestructible backbeat:



-I forgot to mention that no trip to Indianapolis is complete without a visit to the Rhythm! Discovery Centre. Created by the Percussive Arts Society, this unique idea is a museum dedicated to all things drums, rhythm and percussion related. It's also a "hand on" experience and reminded of a real-life incarnation of Mickey Harts two great books "Planet Drum" and "Drumming On The Edge of Magic".



-Courtesy of trumpeter Patrick Boyle here's a clip of the percussion group Nexus performing Steve Reich's "Music For Pieces of Wood":



Whoa...

-A nice one here of bassist Buster Williams and drummer Al Foster getting their turn on "Daahoud" with Benny Golson:



-Here's a couple of clips of drummer Gregory Hutchinson doing his thing:





It's seeing things like this that inspire me to do what I do!

-I froze my butt off yesterday afternoon at McMahon Stadium in Calgary but my beloved Saskatchewan Roughriders prevailed 20-16 over the hometown Calgary Stampeders in the CFL Western Final.
We're going to the Grey Cup!
Long live the 13th Man!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment