WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Sunday, December 5, 2010

A 5/4 Groove...

Just a fun little groove today in 5/4 that I came up with inspired by the drumming of Billy Martin & Ed Blackwell:



I initially heard a pattern and groove similar to this on CBC radio while driving to a gig the other day (I think the tune was being played just after the news!) I kept singing the beat to myself until I was able to sit behind a set drums and this is what I came up with.

It's a bit deceiving at first because the first three beats of each bar actually suggest/imply some sort of 12/8 groove. So even though the groove is in five it almost sounds/feels like it should be something else! I find the foot patterns keep everything grounded (basically two dotted quarter notes then a half note, alternating between the bass drum and hi-hat in two bar cycles.)

This groove is also fun if you play the right hand on a cowbell.

No comments:

Post a Comment